Indian Mound Park
Englewood, FL 34223
Sarasota County Call Center
6 AM – 12 AM; open 365 days a year (parking closed from 12 AM – 6 AM))
Historic nature trail, boat ramp, canoe/kayak launch, fishing, archeological site, picnic pavilion, picnic shelters, grills, park benches, restrooms, parking, boat trailer parking
The scenic view of Lemon Bay is a highlight of this park. Nature trails through the property show off Florida’s native flora and fauna, as well as views of a prehistoric Indian mound site dating back to 1000 B.C. For kayakers, an easy paddle to the south takes you through mangrove islands that offer wonderful bird viewing. Enjoy other activities such as boating, birding, fishing and walking.
Indian Mound Park, also known as the Paulsen Point Site, was first recorded as an archaeological site in 1953 by Dr. John Goggin with the University of Florida’s Archaeological Laboratory. When the Intracoastal Waterway was dredged through Lemon Bay in the early 1960's, soil was placed on the site to create the 10 acre park we know today. In 1964 Sarasota County purchased the park and expanded the boat launch and recreation area. In 1971, the name of the park was changed to Indian Mound Park in accordance with endorsements from clubs and organizations in the Englewood area. In 1973, the Englewood Rotary Club built the large picnic shelter next to the mound, and the Lemon Bay Garden Club constructed the nature trails.
Mangrove swamp, tidal marsh, seagrass beds, coastal hammock, Indian mound
Who Owns and Maintains
Owned and maintained by Sarasota County
SCAT Bus stop and route
Route 16 on Dearborn St and route 21 on Dearborn St (Mon – Fri)